Veterinary Surgery of Birmingham
Our referral practice is limited to the field of Veterinary Surgery. We specialize in orthopedic, soft tissue, and spinal surgery. Your family veterinarian will help you decide when our services are needed and we will work together to provide the best care possible for your pet.
View Website Meet The Staff Make An Appointment
Our Surgeons incorporate complete examinations, digital radiography (X-rays), myelography, bloodwork, cytology, biopsy, bacterial/fungal culture, CSF analysis, joint fluid analysis and ultrasonography to provide the best diagnoses, recommendations and treatment options. In addition to the operations and diseases treated below, we perform many other surgical procedures.
We have a fully staffed intensive care unit which provides 24-hour monitoring and care for postoperative recovery and ill patients.
- Cranial Cruciate Ligament Disease (‘ACL’ tear):Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy (TPLO), Lateral Fabellotibial Suture
- Patellar luxation
- Hip luxation: Closed (non-surgical) reduction, Open reduction +/- toggle-suture system stabilization, femoral head/neck excision
- Other joint luxation
- Hip Dysplasia: Juvenile Pubic Symphyseodesis (JPS), Triple/Double Pelvic Osteotomy (TPO, DPO), Femoral Head and Neck Excision (FHO, FHNE)
- Elbow dysplasia: Fragmented medial coronoid process, ununited anconeal process, OCD, elbow incongruency
- Osteochondritis Dissecans (OCD)
- Fracture repair: Pins, wires, bone plates/screws, external skeletal fixators
- Tendon and Ligament injuries: ‘Achilles’ tendon, bicipital tenosynovitis, ACL tears, patellar ligament tear/avulsion, etc.
- Angular limb deformity correction
- Arthritis: Diagnosis and management (degenerative joint disease/osteoarthritis, infectious arthritis, immune-mediated arthritis)
- Joint fusion/arthrodesis
GENERAL/SOFT TISSUE SURGERY
- Thoracic Surgery: Exploratory surgery/biopsies, Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA), Persistent Right Aortic Arch (PRAA), Pericardectomy, Lung lobectomy, Pyothorax, Pneumothroax, Pulmonary bulla, Thoracic wall tumor removal, Thoracic trauma
- Abdominal/Gastrointestinal Surgery: Exploratory surgery/biopsies, Portosystemic Shunt, Splenectomy, Hernia repair, Gastrointestinal surgery, Liver tumor/lobectomy, Gall bladder removal, Cholecystoduodenostomy/jejunostomy, Gastropexy to prevent or treat Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus (GDV), Adrenalectomy
- Urogenital Surgery: Ectopic ureters, Perineal Urethrostomy (PU), Antepubic urethrostomy, Bladder/urethral stones, Kidney removal, Cryptorchidism
- Wound Reconstruction: Intensive wound management, Bandaging, Skin flaps/grafts, wound biopsies/cultures
- Oncologic Surgery: Skin/Bone/Oral/Organ tumor removal, Amputation, Tumor staging
- Head and Neck: Total Ear Canal Ablation with Lateral Bulla Ostectomy (TECA-LBO), Lateral wall resection (Zepp), Ventral bulla osteotomy, Brachycephalic Airway Syndrome (elongated soft palate, stenotic nares, laryngeal saccules), Cleft palate, Sialocele (salivary cyst), Thyroid tumor, Laryngeal paralysis surgery, Esophagostomy feeding tube, Enucleation
- Intervertebral Disc Disease: Hemilaminectomy, Fenestration, Ventral slot
- Spinal Fracture: Bone plate, Pins/bone cement
Requirements: Bring all registration information (registered name, number, etc) and Microchip number. The microchip will be verified prior to radiography, as required by OFA. Most, if not all dogs are sedated prior to X-rays to achieve the best quality images.